The ever-evolving scholarly publishing market requires editors to master new technologies, navigate library consolidations and open access mandates, and address the demands of an Internet-savvy customer base. The Council of Science Editors (CSE) Publication Certificate Program delivers the fundamentals of scholarly publishing while challenging editorial professionals to creatively tackle emerging issues.
CSE is both widely-recognized and widely-respected within scholarly publishing as an advisory body and an authoritative resource for publishers, researchers, authors, and editors.
CSE’s Publication Certificate was developed for professionals committed to the field and those earlier in their careers who are seeking professional development–with the imprimatur of CSE upon completion of the program’s requirements. It’s time to get started!
Applying for the Program
Applicants must be members of CSE. The application fee is $75. Once accepted into the program, participants will receive a 20% discount on related activities (webinars, conferences, short courses). Apply here.
ABEC-Brasil Members: Please follow this link for additional information and to apply online.
“I found the project portion the most beneficial. It made me go beyond my ‘normal’ work duties and take on something bigger…”
– Morgan Sorensen, CSE Publication Certificate Program graduate, 2015
Completing the Program
Participants must complete the following requirements within a five year period:
- Attend two CSE Annual Conferences
Full registration is required. Enrollees may attend any sessions over the two day conference.
- Attend three CSE webinars
At least two must be live and one may be recorded.
- Attend two CSE short courses
Choice of Publication Management, Journal Editors, Manuscript Editors, Publication Metrics, or Publication Ethics
- Propose a research project and prepare either a poster presentation for the next available annual meeting or a research article for Science Editor. When ready, enrollees should follow these instructions for submitting a proposed project topic.
- Successful completion of the certificate program is dependent on the Certificate Program Subcommittee’s evaluation of the final project.
Click here to view a list of Certificate Program graduates and their final project.
Who Should Enroll
Editorial professionals working in scholarly publishing who are eager to:
- Challenge themselves by completing CSE certificate requirements
- Round out, or update, their education, experience, and industry knowledge
- Connect with others in the field
- Demonstrate to employers their commitment to a career in scholarly publishing
- Enhance their resumes when applying for a new position or promotion
- Explore educational and professional
“The CSE Certificate Program provided a great way for me to put ten years of experience with CSE into a focused project, the results of which broadened my
understanding of scientific publishing and where it is headed.”
– Jon Munn, CSE Publication Certificate Program graduate, 2016
Tracking Your Participation
- From the Members-Only Area click on Track CSE Publication Certificate Program Requirements
- Click on Add Now
- Fill out the form and click Submit Changes