CSE launched a certificate program in scholarly publication management in the spring of 2012. The course was devised in response to the rapidly changing scholarly publishing market, which is in a serious time of transformation with new technologies, a growing Internet-savvy customer base, and financial threats from library consolidation and open access mandates. Professionals working in this field must remain nimble and stay on top of all of these new developments. For professionals interested in making a career in scholarly publishing, the certificate program will provide a solid basis on the fundamentals as well as challenging them to creatively tackle emerging issues.
Applying for the Program
Applicants must be members of CSE. The application fee is $75. Once accepted into the program, participants will receive a 20% discount on related activities (webinars, conferences, short courses). Apply here.
Completing the Program
Participants must complete the following requirements:
- Attend two CSE annual conferences over a three year period. Full registration is required. Enrollees may attend any sessions over the two day conference.
- Attend three CSE webinars over a three year period. At least two must be live and one may be recorded.
- Attend two CSE short courses (choice of Publication Management, Journal Editors, Publication Metrics, or Publication Ethics) over a three year period.
- During the last year of the enrollees program, the enrollee will propose a research project and prepare either a poster presentation for the next available annual meeting or a research article for Science Editor. The project must include concepts learned throughout the certification program and tackle an emerging issue in scholarly publishing. Papers and posters will be judged by a panel established by the CSE Education Committee for completeness, after which the participant will submit the paper or poster abstract to the editorial board of Science Editor or the evaluation panel for the poster presentations.
- When ready, enrollees should follow these instructions for submitting a proposed project topic.
- Successful completion of the certificate program is dependent on the Education Committee’s evaluation of the final project.
Who Should Participate
Anyone who works in scholarly publishing that is interested in rounding out their education and experience, connecting with others in the field, proving to their supervisors that they are serious about continuing their career in scholarly publishing, having a little extra to show when applying for new position or promotions.
Tracking Your Participation
- From the Members-Only Area click on Track CSE Publication Certificate Program Requirements
- Click on Add Now
- Fill out the form and click Submit Changes
- Back on the Track CSE Publication Certificate Program Requirements page, click to “Upload the verification form for the CSE Publication Certificate Program”
- Browse to where the scanned copy of the verification form is saved on your computer
- Choose the type of requirement it fulfills
- Click on submit form