The Council of Science Editors (CSE) is seeking a Project Manager to oversee content development and publication of the Ninth Edition of Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers.
Scientific Style and Format (SSF) is the most recognized, authoritative reference for authors, editors, publishers, students, and translators in all areas of science and related fields. SSF is published by the Council of Science Editors, in partnership with University of Chicago Press (UCP). The Project Manager will chair the Style Manual Task Force and assume primary responsibility for content updates from the Eighth Edition to reflect the perpetually evolving publishing environment and standards.
Project Manager duties include:
- Establishing a publication schedule for the Ninth Edition in conjunction with UCP
- Analyzing results of UCP’s commissioned market research and peer-review reports to establish scope of edition updates
- Recruiting volunteers for the subcommittee who will be expected to revise/write chapters of SSF9
- Assigning chapter update responsibilities and providing update suggestions
- Arranging for review of updates by independent subcommittee members
- Overseeing manuscript development, tracking activity, ensuring adherence to the established schedule, and providing regular progress reports to the CSE Board of Directors
- Acting as a liaison to UCP throughout the production process, including copyediting, composition, and proof review
- Ensuring appropriate formatting in manuscripts to be submitted to UCP for publication
- Working with UCP to ensure Ninth Edition updates are reflected in the online edition of SSF and implement other agreed user interface and design updates
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience with book manuscript development and production and the ability to lead and motivate the subcommittee to complete manuscript development on schedule toward publication in early 2022. Experience with style guide updates is preferred.
The Project Manager will report directly to the CSE Board of Directors.
The position includes remuneration.
Please submit your application materials, to include a cover letter describing your qualifications as well as a resume listing pertinent experience, by e-mail to CSE@councilscienceeditors.org. Application deadline: Friday, March 29, 2019.