Para informações em Português:
Programa para Certificação em Publicação Científica [PDF]
The Council of Science Editors (CSE) launched a certificate program in scholarly publication management in the spring of 2012. The program was devised in response to the rapidly changing scholarly publishing market, which is in a serious time of transformation with new technologies, a growing Internet-savvy customer base, and financial threats from library consolidation and open access mandates. Professionals working in this field must remain nimble and stay on top of all of these new developments. For professionals interested in making a career in scholarly publishing, the CSE certificate program provides a solid basis on the fundamentals of publishing and a foundation to creatively tackle emerging issues. To learn more about the CSE Publication Certificate Program, follow this link.
CSE is proud to be partnering with Associação Brasileira de Editores Científicos (ABEC-Brasil) in offering the CSE Certificate Program to ABEC members. Through a Memorandum of Understanding between CSE and ABEC, we have created a new, hybrid program named ProCPC, providing benefits of the CSE Publication Certificate Program to the Brazilian scientific and publishing communities. Many of the requirements can be fulfilled in Brazil, resulting in great financial savings. CSE has certified the annual events of ABEC (ENEC and WEC) as sufficient for fulfilling one of the requirements (participation in events) for completion of ProCPC.
Who Should Participate
Anyone who works in scholarly publishing that is interested in rounding out their education and experience and connecting with others in the field should participate. Applicants must be members of either CSE or ABEC. Applicants must complete a registration form that can be accessed at the following link: Application for ABEC Members.
Candidates who are accepted into the program must pay a fee of USD$75 directly to CSE. The first ProCPC course will be offered in November 2015 and registration will be open soon. Those interested must register to attend XV ENEC and the Short Course for Journal Editors. The course is limited to 50 people.
Completing the Program
After being admitted into the Program, participants must complete the following requirements within a five-year period.
- Attend one CSE Annual Meeting (in USA) and two ABEC Meetings (ENEC and/or WEC, both in Brazil). Full registration for each conference is required.
- Attend three CSE Webinars. At least two must be live and one may be recorded.
- Attend two CSE Short Courses chosen between the ones offered at CSE Annual Meeting (USA) or the Minicursos ProCPC offered at ABEC Annual Meeting (Brazil). Available courses include the Short Course on Journal Metrics; Short Course on Ethics; Short Course on Publication Management; and Short Course for Journal Editors.
- After all attendance requirements are completed, the enrollee will propose a research project and prepare and deliver a poster presentation at a CSE Annual Meeting or ABEC Annual Meeting or write a Feature Article for Science Editor, the journal of CSE (or both). Projects are peer-reviewed and approved by the CSE Certificate Program Committee. The project must include concepts learned throughout the certification program and address an emerging issue in scholarly publishing. Once the committee approves the project, and the enrollee has presented the poster or published the Feature Article, he or she has successfully completed the program.
Note: Once the final project is approved by the CSE committee, the poster can be presented either at the CSE Annual Meeting or thean ABEC Annual Meeting (ENEC and/or WEC). Regardless of the location, the poster must be in English. If the enrollee prefers to submit a paper to Science Editor, the manuscript must be in English and will be subject to the normal peer- review process of the journal. Acceptance in Science Editor is not required for successful completion.
CSE will present graduates with a certificate at the time that the program is completed. A formal presentation can be made at the CSE Annual Meeting or an ABEC Annual Meeting for graduates in attendance. The graduates will be announced in Science Editor and at the Awards Luncheon at the CSE Annual Meeting. A letter of congratulations that confirms the successful completion will be sent to the graduate and his or her direct supervisor.
Tracking Your Participation
- Track CSE Publication Certificate Program Requirements
- Enter your User Name and Password.
- Click on Add Now
- Fill out the form and click Submit Changes